Skip to main content

My work under Ex Boss KSM

My Ex Boss KSM working experiences anecdotes


Mr.K.SATHIYAMOORTHY

TAMIL TRANSLATION / தமிழில்


Friend, My mentor  Mr.K.SATHIYAMOORTHY or KSM is one of the positive minded people who had greatly influenced my life. 
I can say he was my mentor. I worked under him only for around 385 days or so. But the management experience that I gained from him is great. Perhaps, I can write a book.

தமிழ் மொழிபெயர்ப்பு  CLICK HERE .. // 

No doubt he turned me into an useful person to my family and the society.  He made me blossom as a respectable personality. He did this in a step by step method by making me forget my short comings while at the same time made me focus on and cultivate my inner strengths.

We had great time together discussions, arguments, chit chat etc. I am indebted to him for my lifetime.

My first job

I worked in Hosur "premier mills ltd" for 8 years. (1986 to 1994). I joined there as a computer DATA ENTRY OPERATOR in 1986 with the help of Mr.K.Sundaram, B.Tech, MBA. For the first 4 years I stayed in the Staff quarters next to the mill campus at Belathur. Then next 4 years I stayed at Hosur town.

Premer Mills was a composite text mill. It means that right from the raw~material, cotton, to the finished product, cloth, all manufacturing processes were done there.

The major departments were spinning, weaving, process house, power house, folding, packing, personnel, security, printing, dyeing, Chemicals Lab and of course, the IT Department or EDP  (Electronic Data Processing) Department, as it was called then.

Totally there were about 1,200  employees split under three cadres--Staff, Foremen and Workers. Workers were about 800 and staff and foremen each around 250. Monthly we used to run three payrolls for each of these cadres. The mill will be functioning round the clock i.e.all the 24 hours in three shifts.

Then we had a very big computer system. In 1993 or so, I was the EDP incharge or IT Department incharge. Then we had a very sophisticated HCL HORIZON III computer connected with about 20 dumb terminals. We also had a few PCs too. UNIX 4.2 BSD was the operating system. We used the RDBMS software UNIFY and "C language " to store and retrieve the data.

KSM as my boss

KSM was a very honest, loveable and able administrator. Then though I was the incharge of the huge  IT Department, I was not empowered to handle the TELEX, take out the company car to get our printers repaired etc. Hence, I was asked to report to KSM, the Administrative Manager, then.

He gave me full freedom to do my technical job as a programmer and computer department incharge. However, for many administrative functions, I needed his signature and approval.  For example, to use TELEX or company car, I needed his signature.

To repeat, KSM was a very hard, honest and loveable and able administrator. I worked terribly hard under his motivation. Then I was married and lived in Hosur with my wife and first daughter who was 2 years old. I used to daily travel 12 kms in public transport up and down.

My duty time was from  8.30am to 6pm. But only half the days I used to return home early. I will work over time to solve many pending problems in the software. It was developed by a team of MCA guys under the leadership of Mr. Ramesh Babu. Because of hard work that took me to my physical limits, I will have to take extra leaves monthly. So almost every month, I will get LOP (loss of pay) for two or three days.

I was late to office one day 

Once I was 10 minutes or so late to the office. A "Late Slip" in my name was prepared by the security office and reached my boss, KSM Sir's table. He called me to his cabin and holding the YELLOW LATE SLIP in his hand told me, "Ezhilarasan, Shall I write 'He went to pick up the Computer Service Engineer?'  "

If he writes that comment, my half a day  salary will "not be cut". But I told him, "Sir, If I happen to come with the computer service Engineer, it will be generally around 10.30am. So, if you write that excuse, then the people here will think that we are fooling them to avoid the obvious salary cut. So, please go ahead and let us accept the truth."
.
Since he knew that every month I have a few days LOP (Loss of pay), he said, "I WILL WRITE  --EZHILARASAN HAS BEEN WARNED". I replied,  "Sir, Please do whatever you feel like", and left his cabin. That month my salary was "not cut" for that day.

The computer service Engineer will have heavy workload and many times he will not keep his commitments.   Therefore, I will go to his room before he leaves his place and bring him to factory without fail. I will go to his lodge in my uniform. En route, I will be meeting many of my collegues. To them I will be grumbling something like,  "I will have to go and drag the computer service Engineer by his collar and bring him to our factory today at any cost or else we may not be able to print the pay slips today (or some urgent report). He had being telling excuses for the last 2  days" etc, etc.

Unofficially this news will reach my boss and prove that I am really working hard for the company in spite of my physical limitations. However, it was very true.

I will have to walk a little distance to reach the Srinivasa lodge where the Engineer stays. But the motivation that KSM Sir gave me, does not make me think that it as a difficult job at all.

More about KSM Sir and my unforgettable working experiences under him.
--
MORE ARTICLES

Ezhilarasan Venkatachalam
Tamil Based English Trainer,
Salem, South India.
Mobile chat : 861080 2637 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VENKATACHALAMs soft skills CLIPS 1 TO 25

VENKATACHALAMs soft skills CLIPS 1 TO 25  Ezhilarasan Venkatachalam's  LIKED CLIPS COLLECTION - numbered in descending order.  Friends, I have spent lot of time to view many videos and selected the following useful matter from them. Please open the link and watch carefully. //  நண்பர்களே,  நான் பல மணிநேரம் செலவிட்டு பல  வீடியோக்களைப் பார்த்து, பிறகு அவற்றிலிருந்து பயனுள்ள பின்வருவனவற்றைத் தேர்ந்தெடுத்து உள்ளேன். இணைப்பைத் திறந்து கவனமாகப் பார்க்கவும். [25] RIVERS DON'T DRINK THEIR OWN WATER  https://youtube.com/shorts/UX5nZ7ORC-g?feature=share   [2 4] "I CUT MY HAIR TO PLAY TENNIS". Kiran Bedi, IPS, is of course a great personality.  https://youtube.com/shorts/gEfejarZDzI?feature=share (Part 2 ..  26 to 50)    [23]  S. P. KALIYA MURTHY: Thomas Alva Edison was rejected from his school. His teacher wrote a letter to his mother asking her not to send him to school because he is mentally retarded. BUT HER MOTHER NEVER TOLD HIM THIS. SHE TOLD HIM THE OPPOSITE.  https://you

Venkatachalams soft skills clips 25 to 50

Friends, I would like to share a big collection of 25 links for video that I enjoyed with you all [from 25 to 50 in reverse order ].   PLEASE SELECT EACH LINK GIVEN BELOW AND  VIEW THE VIDEOs [50] Rajnikant talks about miracles ... [English] https://youtube.com/shorts/EGaHfZgBZUQ?feature=share   --- [42] -People "think" money can solve all problems, but Sudha Murthy says it can solve only 10%.  https://youtube.com/shorts/Uf-qC58l61s?feature=share  (Part 1  ... 1 to 25)   -- Part 3 -- links 51 to 100    [48]  What Abraham Lincoln said about cutting a tree? -    Madhavan quotes  [NA]  https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxOj07LhPKcEqEaz9ORbzAFljjKCBGrr2i   [47] Sudha Murthy - childcare - mobile addition  [English] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=86UDb51DvuI  [6:04] [46] Secret of a happy married life - Sudha Murthy   https://youtube.com/shorts/rcB4k92NXn8?feature=share [45] The richest people did not follow the regular route of college, job etc ... https://youtube.com/shorts/rjQOH-x2W9w?

soft skills by EZHILARASAN MENU 0422

MENU 0422 SOFT SKILLS BY EZHILARASAN VENKATACHALAM .. . Online English classes through Tamil . LINKS TO Soft Skills ARTICLES THAT may REDEFINE YOUR LIFE / இந்த கட்டுரைகள் உங்கள் வாழ்வில் புதிய ஒளி ஏற்றலாம் டோண்ட் மிஸ் ப்ளீஸ்  .. 01   PREGNANT DEER .. 02   WHO WILL CRY WHEN YOU DIE ? . . 03   ZEN STORY – BIG TEA CUP & SMALL TEA CUP .. . . . . 04 ZEN STORY – PATIENCE . . . . . . . . . 05   AMITAAB_BACHCHAN MEETS TATA . . 06 BODY LANGUAGE – AN INTRODUCTION .. . . . . . 07 LEARN FROM AN EAGLE – PART 1 . . 08 LEARN FROM AN EAGLE – PART 2 . PSYCHOLOGY IN TAMIL    MENU எழிலரசன் வெங்கடாசலம் சேலம் தமிழ் வழி சிறப்பு ஆங்கில பயிற்சியாளர் EZHILARASAN VENKATACHALAM Tamil Based ENGLISH TRAINER SALEM, South India. WHATSAPP TEXT ONLY = 99526 60402 New contacts WHATSAPP TEXT FIRST  . Online English class _ தமிழ் வழி ஆங்கில பயிற்சி   . . THANKS To   . . BIRDS EYE VIEW